“The state of the oil and gas industry today is tough,” says Abhijeet Anand, a commercial engineer for Schlumberger Europe, Africa and Asia, “and few have experienced anything like it.” Writing as an SPE Soft Skills Editor, Anand makes the case that millions of jobs have been affected by workforce reductions, pay cuts, or demotions. The situation is unprecedented, and so is the need to learn from the successes of the past, he says.
Recounting the stories of those who have experienced serious hardships in earlier times can teach us how to face anything in our paths. He illustrates his points with five short stories of extraordinary achievers in the oil and gas industry and their remarkable journeys.
“The Fighter and Master of Resilience”
“The Woman Warrior and the Wild Horse”
“The Hustler and the Power of Hard Work”
The Believer and the Art of Rising to the Occasion”
…And ultimately he offers the lessons learned in developing petroleum leadership skills.
- Ideas and talking are great, but what counts in life is your actions.
- When you persevere and hold your ground, you achieve your goals faster.
- To be in a comfort zone is to die. Success is about continuously trying to be a better version of yourself, and comfort is the enemy of success.
- If you do not believe in yourself, no one else will. Trust yourself and get out and act.
- Let your ego go. “When the ego dies, the soul awakes.”